Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bad Timing

Don't get me wrong, I love the X Games and the Winter Olympics. However, what I don't like is when these two events are two weeks apart. I almost had a heart attack when I was watching Shaun White compete in the SuperPipe the other night. Here is a guy who will almost surely bring home Olympic gold for the United States of America in two weeks vaulting almost 25 feet into the air during another competition. Again, it's not that I don't like the X Games, but I do feel as though the Olympic Games are just as important if not more so. I would also wonder how many people decided not to compete in the X Games because they wanted to save themselves to compete in the Olympics. As we saw the other day, athletes can fall down, and what if they got hurt? How would you explain Shaun White not being able to compete in the Olympics because he wiped down on the SuperPipe? This might have been enough reason for many competitors to skip the first competition. Therefore, I do not believe that this was a smart business move for the X Games. If they truly believed that there was no threat of injury to the athletes in these games, they would have been afraid to allow the athletes to compete in the Olympics first. Then, they could have had the full slate of competitors and also set themselves up to be the reason some country does not win an Olympic medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment