Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Burlington Men's League

I made my first pilgrimage to the Burlington men's league tonight. I must admit, it felt kind of weird watching guys that I had watched throughout high school for different, often rival teams, on the same team tonight. I had seen most of these guys play multiple times throughout our high school years, but one year does make a difference when you're away at college. However, I also observed another thing that I had previously noticed at the Barre men's league (although this is a much different level). Men's leagues are ruled by who can hit the most three-pointers on a given night. The refs do not call much, so that makes post play more difficult since every shot is hotly contested. Also, defense is a rare thing many times, so many of the threes are uncontested. Because of this, it makes more sense to take the treys. However, three-pointers are hard to make even when you are wide open. This means that the winner is essentially going to be the one who can make more wide open threes or can actually step up and play defense to make the threes more difficult. However, none of this really matters. It was a lot of fun, and I hope I can get back up there soon!

Photo by ricardodiaz11 on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment