Sunday, May 9, 2010

Equal Opportunity Dislike


I was watching AAU basketball today, and I came to a new revelation about referees. Most of the time, many people would say that the perfect ref would call a "perfect game." However, what is the perfect game? I doubt that very many of us would want the refs to call everything. I believe that in the rulebook, basketball is an almost noncontact sport. I may be wrong about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that there should be very limited contact allowed in a game of basketball. Therefore, if the refs called everything that could possibly be deemed a foul, I would still be in Lake Placid right now. So, obviously we do not want the refs call everything that could possibly be deemed a foul. The direct opposite of this is the refs who will not call anything. I think most of us would agree that this is not ideal either. Therefore, there needs to be some balance of whether or not a ref is doing a good job. I realized today that the ref that is doing a good job would be equally disliked by both teams. Nobody wants to be disliked, but if both teams are booing the refs with equal intensity, it at least means the refs are being consistent. There is nothing worse than biased refs, so I was comforted today as both teams and sets of fans were upset with the refs. Obviously they were not calling the ideal balance of fouls, but at least I was happy to see that the refs were being fair, right or wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment