Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Maybe He's an Alien

Okay, I realized that I am a day late, but how awesome was that when Bill "Spaceman" Lee came back as the 63-year-old to start a baseball game? When I first heard he was doing it, I honestly thought it would be nothing more than a few pitches for the publicity and then be done. However, it is very impressive that he got the win by pitching 5 1/3 innings and only giving up three hits and one run. That isn't a bad day for most major-league starters, but when you are 63, I think that is even more impressive. Of course, you have to take note that this was in an independent league in Massachusetts, but I do not think that that should diminish his accomplishment at all. He still had to throw good pitches in good spots to get outs. He still had to get lucky like all pitchers do on those few hard-hit balls that are seemingly magnetically attracted to the fielders. Bill Lee did everything a pitcher is supposed to do, so I am very impressed that he was able to pull this off. Most people at his age would throw out a first pitch. I guess he did a lot more than that.
Photo by mistycabal on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment