Thursday, October 21, 2010

Do or Die

Okay, it is official. The Phillies are choking. There is no way we should have lost that game last night. Honestly, I was shocked that Roy Oswalt pitched the ninth. He is a great pitcher, and I will not argue with that. However, my question is why Brad Lidge wasn't pitching. I figure that Charlie Manuel was probably saving him for when the Phillies got the lead later in the game. I appreciate this, but as was obviously shown, you can't get the lead later if the game ends in the ninth. Don't get me wrong, I think Roy Oswalt is an excellent pitcher, but Brad Lidge is trained by the ninth inning; he is a closer for that reason. Again, I appreciate the idea of saving Brad Lidge for the final three outs, but unless you're ahead, there'll be no final three outs. So, tonight is do or die time. Luckily, we have Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels for our final stand. There is not any staff I would rather have to hold onto this series. All of them have made big starts in the playoffs before (Halladay's no-hitter a few weeks ago, Oswalt's gem in game two, and Hamels' in previous World Series), so I know that they are capable of it. We can make it, but it is definitely an uphill battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment