Saturday, January 29, 2011

Say It Ain't So


Well, I just watched the movie Eight Men Out, and we have just been doing a lot of work with ethics in finance, so that is kind of on my mind right now. What I'm thinking is that Joe Jackson should be in the Hall of Fame. Yes, he did take the money according to all sources, but he also had an amazing series. That makes no logical sense whatsoever which makes me think that Joe did not know what he was doing. Most people have made the claim that Joe Jackson was not very intelligent. I will not go there simply because I have not done enough research to make claims like that about people. Where I will go is that I wonder if he was told the whole truth. The only reason I make that claim is because even if he was not very intelligent, he'd know better than to cross guys like those gamblers. Even street knowledge of those guys would have led him to realize not to cross them. Therefore, why would he knowingly deal with the guys and then cross them? Perhaps he was told that it was a bonus from Comiskey. That would totally be out of character given what I have read about Comiskey, but framed in the right context, who knows? I guess that is my point. Who knows what really happened, and I do know that he was one of the best players in baseball history.

No comments:

Post a Comment